Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Yosemite Waterfall

Park rangers have closed the Mist Trail to the fall until at least noon Wednesday, saying they are conducting a search after receiving unconfirmed reports of one or more visitors being swept over the fall.

“I saw two that were holding each other and one that was floating alone through the water. And the reason that I looked was because this woman was screaming, running along the edge of the water,” witness Dean Sabo told KGPE.

'find them safe?" I hope you people are joking.. If the falls were 80% shorter, it would have been impossible to survive. Wow. I am not sure who is the bigger idiot: the people who can't read warning signs or post on this board.

If I am at a location and read: "Do Not go beyond guard rails". I believe the park management people and I do not cross the rails. People also die on Half Dome by crossing to the outside of the rails. If the park management would use the phrase: "Do not cross the rails or you WILL CERTAINLY DIE" .....there'd still be idiots attempting to impress others with their "daring bravery". Some would get lucky – others would die.

Actually, that's what the warning signs do say at the falls...I was shocked when I visited years ago. The signs say "YOU WILL GO OVER THE FALLS AND YOU WILL DIE"

Yosemite is beautiful, Mother Nature at it's finest. Natural beauty also has inherant dangers that must be understood and respected. Unfortunately accidents happen sometimes. I'm sorry for the family's loss.

Just a few days ago, I watched another family swept away by water. Now am wondering why these people were in this falls to begin with. There is a consequence for just about everything you do. It is always wise to stop and think before you engage in some kind of action that could have severe consequences. If you play around a waterfall, you just might be caught up in it.

I would think that it was an accident, not taking an intentional risk. I'm from New York and we are going there next month, we are planning on doing the Mist Trail. We certainly will not go where we're not supposed to!

I remember the top of Vernal Falls well as it was the first hike I took in Yosemite. Provided it didn't change since I'd been there, I remember there being signs in several (6?) languages that emphatically stated to not enter the water or get close to the water's edge. Each language ended with wording similar to "You will get swept over the falls and you will die"–and it was the forcefulness of the "you will die" (not just "you will get hurt" or "you will suffer bodily harm" that made those signs stand out in my head.

Really? Its sad to hear that these people may have lost their lives in such a way, but who in their right mind gets into the water anywhere close to a waterfall? A 317-foot-high fall at that. Sad story.

this is truly a tragedy. Yosemite is a special place, full of history, mystery and unpredictable wilderness. It's the type of place that alters your state of mind with its sheer natural beauty. People who engage in outdoor activities like hiking, backpacking or climbing must come prepared with the right equipment and gear, I was in Yosemite last week and people were hiking the Mist Trail with sandals, non-grip shoes, jeans and limited to no water. This is a very strenuous hike.
Comments
0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment