Saturday, June 25, 2011

Detroit Pistons took Vernon Macklin with the 52nd pick in the second round

Former Florida center Vernon Macklin admitted he was “a little nervous” when his name wasn't called within the first 50 picks of the NBA draft.

Former UF big man Vernon Macklin headed to Detroit for a physical on Friday.Then, Macklin's cell phone rang after the 51st pick. It was a familiar number, a scouting director from the Detroit Pistons.

The Pistons took Macklin with the 52nd pick in the second round late Thursday. On Friday, Macklin headed on a flight for Detroit for a physical and meetings with his new team.

Macklin watched the draft in his native Hampton, Va., with his aunt and uncle. His mom was working a night shift. When Macklin was picked, the first call he made was to his mom.

“I played hard, played physical and I scored a lot on the offensive end,” Macklin said. “They definitely had a plan and a vision for me as a player. I'm just glad they kept their word.”

“They told me they see me playing the power forward spot and center,” Macklin said. “They want me to bulk up a little bit so I can defend in the post.”
Comments
0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment