Saturday, March 26, 2011

First Nights Scenes

Welcome, comrades. You have reached the personal blog of a writer and English teacher. I used to work at BKC-IH Moscow in Russia. It didn't end well, so I sued them. Currently, I'm an EFL teacher in Seoul, Korea.


It was my first night in Korea. I was hanging out with a big group of people in a bar. On one side of the bar, I could hear this one young dude bragging about how many Korean girls he was going to fuck.

He was sitting across the table, a few people over. I leaned in to the girl next to me and pointed. "That guy is a fucking loser," I said.

The guy sitting directly across from me looked straight at me, amused. "Don't judge," he said. (A few weeks later, this charming young man would post this as his Facebook status: Reminder to self, do not shit where you eat. That's when I unfriended him).

There were maybe 15 or 20 of us at that bar that night, half of us against the wall. The other half were in chairs on the other side of the tables. The tables were pushed together. At some point, it was decided that we needed to push some of the tables away from each other, to create pathways so the people sitting against the wall could leave easily to go the bathroom (before that, it was the whole crawling under the table/over people bit).

I had been sitting next to this guy, and we'd been talking (about what, I cannot remember). What I remember is this: with the new pathway created, me and my conversation pal had been separated.

He rolled his eyes and said, "We're not THAT far apart," and I was instantly aware of how I had sounded. I was instantly aware of what I had said, and how he had taken it, and I tell you, I was so embarrassed.

The next day, I spotted two people that I'd been conversing with the previous night. I saw them in the cafeteria. Upon seeing them, I was so happy to see familiar faces in a sea of foreigners. I waved and grinned enthusiastically.

I tell you, I felt so much like a little girl, the new girl, alone, wanting so much to be friends that people could smell my vulnerability and veered away out of reflex and disgust.

I'm talking with a friend of mine back home about my social anxiety. "We bonded so much during Orientation!" I said. "We were like, we're going to be such good friends! Was it all just alcohol? Was it all just bullshit?"

A dear friend of mine told me that she knew of this old dog and the dog's owner did not heed the advice of fellow dog owners, which was: keep the dog inside. Because other dogs can smell death and they do not like it.

I like how you post your observations bluntly and honestly. Truthfully I don't spend a lot of time in bars. But I have had similar experiences where it seems I encounter other foreigners who probably aren't on their best behaivor. It's sad really.source http://thingsevewoulddo.blogspot.com/

Comments
0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment